How to Use Facebook Groups for Job Search and Networking
Last Updated on
Finding a job is no longer limited to local listings and printed employment ads. Today, browsing for employment is even possible with the use of social media. Using Facebook groups for job search and networking opportunities is a great way to find positions that are right for your skillset and are available in your preferred industry.
Search for Relevant Groups
Once you are logged into Facebook, begin searching for Facebook groups by using the top search bar presented on the site.
Whenever you receive search results from Facebook, be sure to select “Groups” to eliminate unnecessary results such as photos, pages, and articles that are irrelevant to you. Use the following tips to get started with finding a group to join:
- Search by Industry: If you work in online marketing, search “marketing” while browsing for groups on Facebook. For those who work in SEO marketing, search with additional keywords. The more specific you are with your search, the easier it is to find a Facebook group that is useful to you.
- Read Group Rules: Before joining any and all groups that appear available, be sure to read and review any group rules that are in place. You can read the rules for any Facebook group by visiting the group’s page prior to joining. While some groups may encourage and promote job-seeking opportunity posts, other groups may be for resources such as online job listings or tips on various topics that are relevant to your industry. Avoid joining groups that do not allow the ability to network and search for jobs, as these groups will clog your feed and may result in warnings or complete bans from the group due to posting the wrong content.
- Compare Engagement: Compare the amount of engagement each group that appears has by reviewing the number of posts the group receives each day. Groups with a high number of posts daily are likely to have a much more active community, providing you with more potential opportunities to land a position that is optimal for you.
- Group Size: You can also review the number of members that are in each group before choosing a group that is right for your needs and the amount of communication you desire. If you are in search of a small-knit online group or community, seek out a Facebook group with less than 1,000 members. A medium-sized Facebook group may have anywhere from 5,000 to more than 50,000 members. Large Facebook groups can include hundreds of thousands, if not millions of users from around the globe. Consider the type of group you are looking for to help you network and find the jobs that are available and suitable for you in your area.
Public, Secret, and Closed Groups
Not all groups are open and visible to the public, meaning you may not have the ability to see all of the Facebook groups that are most relevant to your needs. Before you begin joining any Facebook groups, take the time to research top Facebook groups in your industry on popular search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, Brave, DuckDuckGo, and Bing.
While public groups are visible within all search results, closed and private groups are typically hidden from the public. Groups choose to remain hidden or private to avoid overcrowding, trolling, or unnecessary reports that may put their pages at risk of being flagged, warned, or even entirely deleted.
If you find that there are Facebook groups that you want to join from search engines that are not visible, you may need to reach out to others who are currently involved in the group. Reach out to current business associates, friends, and family members who currently work in your industry to inquire about any Facebook groups they belong to that may be helpful to you as you network online and search for jobs.
Join the Conversation
One of the best ways to stand out in a Facebook group of any size is to start conversations and contribute to the group regularly and frequently. Contributing to a group highly depends on the industry you are in as well as any goals and intentions you have in mind for the group and your future career. Some of the quickest ways to get involved with a new Facebook group you have joined is to:
- Start a Conversation: Start a conversation or create an icebreaker to introduce yourself as a new member of the group. Before submitting your new post, be sure to verify that you are permitted to share a welcome post within the rules. Abiding by rules and guidelines of each individual group you belong to is essential to maximize your ability to network and find employment opportunities online.
- Offer Advice: Offer helpful advice, directions, or website resources to other individuals within your group who are in need of assistance. Being viewed as a helpful and kind member can go a long way once you begin searching for job opportunities yourself.
- Comment and Respond to Posts: Engaging with the posts of other users in your Facebook group is a way to connect and network while building a good rapport within your community. Provide positive remarks and remain professional at all times. Simply “liking” or “loving” another’s post can put you in their good graces.
- Ask Questions on Your Mind: Asking questions help to add to the overall value of a group. A group that is filled with questions, answers, and resources is extremely valuable for just about any industry. Ask any questions you have regarding job search resources, network events in your area, and even current job listings that may be actively available in the Facebook group you are in.
- Apologize When You Make Mistakes: Fitting in with a Facebook group can feel daunting, especially when you are putting yourself out there among thousands of strangers. Admitting your mistakes and owning up to them whenever you submit a post with errors or share resources that are not allowed can ensure you remain in the group without issue.
- Request Assistance: Another way to put your Facebook groups to work for you is to request help with finding a job in a specific area, based on your current location or the location you want to work in. When you are in a job-search Facebook group, be sure to read the rules before submitting your post. However, if you are permitted to submit a job-search post, be sure to include your current location as well as your skills, abilities, and past work experience. Keep your post short and sweet to prevent readers and prospective employers from becoming bored. Include a link to your official website, blog, or even an online portfolio to showcase your work to hiring managers and potential employers. Respond promptly and professionally whenever you receive a response from another member of your group, even if they are simply redirecting you to various job listings or providing you with additional resources.
Conducting a search for a job is not always fun or easy, especially if you are searching for positions in a highly competitive market and industry. By learning how to properly navigate social media platforms such as Facebook, gain a competitive edge over individuals who are not currently putting social media groups to work for them as they apply for jobs.
Join our closed Facebook group ‘Professional Jobs in Singapore‘. It’s the fastest growing group for professional jobs in Singapore.
How to Use Facebook Groups for Job Search and Networking