Group Legal, Compliance & Secretariat ensures that the bank’s interests are protected by zealously guarding and enhancing its reputation and capital. We also work to maintain a good standing with all our regulators, customers, and business partners. Because we believe that at the heart of business banking is to uphold the values of trust and integrity for all our stakeholders.
To provide legal and regulatory support to the Treasury & Markets (“T&M”) business in DBS Bank Group (primarily in Singapore, Greater China, Taiwan, Korea, London, India and Indonesia).
Provide advisory and execution legal support to the financial markets business in T&M, with a focus on equity derivatives, liquidity management instruments and research, as well as supporting the sales teams:
• To review and approve legal documents (including bank product and customer documentation) and to identify, advise on and manage legal risks associated with the operation of T&M.
• To prepare and update standard form documentation and structured product documentation (termsheet and confirmation) for use by T&M together with related guidance notes and other advisory materials for new and existing products.
• To work closely with Compliance and T&M to ensure the relevant legal and regulatory requirements are well understood by T&M and are reflected and protected in the relevant documentation and internal procedures.
• To recommend, supervise and manage external lawyers to ensure that high quality and focused advice is received at reasonable cost in a timely manner to appropriately protect bank’s interests.
• To provide general legal advice, guidance and solutions on legal and regulatory issues to T&M.
• Review new products and other business initiatives (e.g. new business ventures and new transaction structures) and consider the impact of relevant rules and regulations on T&M and Legal & Compliance.
Provide secondary advisory legal support with respect to other sales and structuring desks in T&M:
• Provide Sales and Trading in T&M with prompt, sound and consistent legal and regulatory advice in relation to (1) the structuring and sale of products (including funded and unfunded, OTC and cleared) in respect of all asset classes (foreign exchange, interest rates, commodities, credit and equities) and investment, clearing and execution services (2) sales practices.
• Provide responsive, sound, coherent and consistent legal advice on legal, regulatory and contractual issues to internal clients (ie. front, middle and back offices of T&M).
• Establish, review and update internal rules, policies and guidelines to meet best practice regulatory and industry standards for the management of legal and documentary risks.
• Work with the Compliance team to ensure effective interpretation and recommendations on regulations and policies affecting the T&M business.
• Keeping up-to-date on any regulatory changes and developments in Singapore and globally that have an impact on T&M.
• Maintain strong internal relationships, acting as a professional and value-adding partner with the business and support units.
• At least 5-8 years of post-qualification relevant experience with a financial institution or in private practice.
• Qualified lawyer of UK or Singapore.
• Communication skills with ability to clearly and diplomatically articulate issues, solutions and rationales.
• Ability to think critically with good problem-solving skills; results-oriented to ensure sound implementation of controls and compliance processes/procedures.
• Ability to analyse financial markets transactions and consider the application of relevant regulations and rules.
• Expertise and experience with derivatives and/or structured products, either in-house or at a major law firm.
• Strong awareness of regulations/laws (e.g. MAS Notices, Banking Act, Companies Act, Securities and Futures Act, and Financial Advisers Act) in Singapore, regionally and globally. Comprehensive product knowledge together with good understanding of relevant financial services and investment banking activities.
• Reporting to Senior Vice President, Group Legal and Compliance – T&M
• Collaborating and working with T&M Legal and Compliance colleagues. Working relationship with BUs/SUs, and other colleagues in Legal, Compliance and Secretariat in Singapore and overseas.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the professional advantages of a dynamic environment that supports your development and recognises your achievements.