The Government Technology Agency (GovTech) aims to transform the delivery of Government digital services by taking an “outside-in” view, putting citizens and businesses at the heart of everything we do. We also develop the Smart Nation infrastructure and applications, and facilitate collaboration with citizens and businesses to co-develop technologies.
Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation – a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
Who we are
GovTech’s Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) division uses technology and data to help deliver high-quality digital services to citizens and businesses in Singapore. We build software products for government agencies to better understand and use their data to improve operations and decision making.
What the role is
Data scientists in GovTech help crack challenging problems through the use of machine learning and other computational methods on government data. You would have the opportunity to work across domains like citizen engagement, healthcare, transport and operations.
As a data scientist, you will:
· Improve public service delivery and policy by extracting insights from government data
· Work closely with product managers, data scientists and engineers to develop, test and deploy new data products
· Write production-quality code and work with engineers to put models into operation
· Learn new things and impart knowledge with other team members in a multi-disciplinary team
Additionally, more senior data scientists will be expected to:
· Establish best practices
· Share your expertise and mentor other data scientists
· Help with recruiting.
You are not just here to write code, but also to figure out what we should be building and how we should build it.
What it is like working here
We build products that serve a variety of agency users, who use them to solve highly meaningful problems pertinent to our society, from transportation, to education, to healthcare. The public sector is full of opportunities where even the simplest software can have a big impact on people’s lives. We are here to improve how we live as a society through what we can offer as a government.
· Rapid Prototyping – Instead of spending too much time debating ideas we prefer testing them. This identifies potential problems quickly, and more importantly, conveys what is possible to others easily.
· Reliable Productization – To scale an idea, a prototype or a Minimum Viable Product to a software product, we scrutinize and commit to its usability, reliability, scalability and maintainability.
· Ownership – In addition to technical responsibilities, this means having ideas on how things should be done and taking responsibility for seeing them through. Building something that you believe in is the best way to build something good.
· Continuous Learning – Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Taking time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and even languages is not just encouraged but essential.
What we are looking for
We look for people who:
· Have experience working with data and machine learning to solve problems
· Have a demonstrated ability to build software
· Can write code to solve abstract problems
· Can talk and reason about code with other engineers
· Take the initiative to make things happen
· Want to work for the public good.